Like most of us, if you were waiting patiently for Bad Boy Billionaires: India to air on Netflix from September 2, well, then, there’s bad news.
The series, which Netflix says is an “investigative docuseries [that] explores the greed, fraud and corruption that built up – and ultimately brought down – India’s most infamous tycoons.”
Netflix had released the trailer Bad Boy Billionaires: India around last week, after which two separate petitions were filed in two separate courts. The first of them was by Mehul Choksi, whose writ petition was rejected by the Delhi High Court. However, Sahara India’s Subrata Roy’s plea was recognised by a local court in Bihar, who ordered an interim stay on its broadcasting until Netflix’s councils appear before court. After this, Netflix decided to take down the trailer, and interestingly enough, a few trailer reactions also seem to be missing from YouTube.
Bad Boy Billionaires: India consists of stories of some of the biggest businessmen of India, who, after reaching the peak of success with regard to fame and money, got into trouble and came tumbling down. Alongside Choksi and Roy, the docuseries will also feature Nirav Modi, Kingfisher Airlines’s Vijay Mallya and Ramalinga Raju of Satyam Computer Services. Netflix’s lawyers have told the court that there is no episode on Choksi, and he comes up in the show for “two minutes”.
On Tuesday, Ramalinga Raju, too, moved to court to obtain a stay order against the series, claiming that the series will “invade his privacy in an unlawful manner.”
After the fiasco, Netflix had decided to move to Supreme Court challenging the Bihar Court’s orders, in hopes of getting the stay order vacated. However, things seem to not have gone in their favour. The Supreme Court, on Wednesday, quashed the streaming giant’s expectations. Chief Justice Bobde asked Netflix to move to High Court if they wished to challenge the Bihar Court’s orders. He added, “We are not granting relief. You should not have come here.”
A little bit on the cases: Vijay Mallya, the founder and former owner of Kingfisher Airlines, is currently fighting extradition from the UK. The 64-year-old businessman owes 17 Indian banks around Rs 9,000 crore, and is accused of fraud and money laundering. On the other hand, Ramalinga Raju, former chairman and CEO of Satyam Computer Services, was a part of an embezzlement scam from the company to the tune of Rs 71.36 billion.
Subrata Roy, the founder of Sahara conglomerate, is accused of illegally raising money from investors. He was supposed to pay back around Rs 24,000 crores, but has only paid back around 12,000 crores till now. Lastly, Nirav Modi is wanted by both the Interpol and the Indian government for embezzling $2 billion from Punjab National Bank and is being sued in the State of California for around US $4.2 million.
The order has definitely dampened Netflix’s release, with Bad Boy Billionaires: India still unavailable on the site on September 2, the date it was supposed to release. And, unfortunately, there’s no news about it yet. We’ll just have to wait and watch how this plays out, at this point.
Read our entertainment articles here.